ACT TEST, TIPS AND DATES
Many students from Beatrice High School take the ACT test each year. Beatrice High School will again be a host site for the ACT.
Colleges use the ACT results to determine if students meet admission requirements, to award scholarships, to advise students on course selection and to select students for their honors programs.
The ACT includes test areas in English, math, reading and science and an optional writing section. Many Midwestern colleges require the ACT. Scores for each section are averaged to create a composite score. A perfect score is 36. Students are encouraged to take the test in the spring of their junior year, and again in the fall of their senior year.
Some tips students are encouraged to use when taking tests and apply to the ACT test are:
1. Review the instructions and format ahead of time. Students can find sample test questions and instructions at collegeboard.com and act.org.
2. Answer the easy questions first. If you get hung up on a question, mark it and move on. The time used to solve a difficult question is better spent on four of five easy ones.
3. Mark your answer sheet with care. Double-check the numbers as you go, especially if you skip any questions.
4. Practice using your calculator. You are allowed to use just about any four-function, scientific or graphing calculator.
5. Eliminate wrong answers. Eliminating several wrong answers for each problem will increase your chances of selecting the correct answer.
6. Beware of trick questions. If a question appears too easy, its probably a trick. Try to find the underlying logic of the problem.
Beatrice High School encourages students to take the ACT and with the information and tips provided, wish students success with this important test.
Remaining ACT Test Dates & Deadlines
Visit www.act.org for more info and practice tests
Fee waivers are available for students who qualify for free and reduced lunch. Speak with your School Counselor.
Test Date Registration Deadline (Late Fee Required)
Saturday, December 8, 12 Friday, November 02, 12 November 3–16, 12
Saturday, February 9, 13 Friday, January 11, 13 January 12-18, 13
Saturday, April 13, 13 Friday, March 08, 13 March 9–22, 13
Saturday, June 8, 13 Friday, May 03, 13 May 4–17, 13